Re: Preamp : need advice

Subject: Re: Preamp : need advice
From: "jmcharcot" jmcharcot
Date: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 am ((PST))
Thanks to all of you for these useful informations.

I used to have a RH-10 Hi-MD, I'm not a technician but there is no
doubt that the preamps were much better than those of the PMD-620. I
never had to think of anything added to my Hi-MD to get a decent
recording.

Kind regards,

JM.

--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:

> At 8:54 PM +0000 2/18/08, flan9 wrote:
> >I've found the FEL battery preamp
>
><http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/felbattpreamp.html>http://www.
felmicamps.co.uk/products/felbattpreamp.html
> >has enabled me to get a lot more out of my R-09 and Shure WL183s.
> >never need to use
> >the noisy 'high' setting on the recorder and I can keep it safely
> >out of the slightly noisy
> >upper range of the 'low' setting.
>
> Its unfortunate to have to pay more to work around a performance
> shortfall like this. Perhaps there are more recorders out there
with
> poor pre performance than I realize. I do remember Klas
> characterizing the R-09 as noisy.
>
> For reference, the mic pre noise generated by the first generation
MD
> recorders at maximum gain of 60-65 dB is inaudible with that mic.
Rob