Re: Zoom H2 line in?

Subject: Re: Zoom H2 line in?
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:29 pm ((PST))
>> The dynamic range was about 88-89 dB, the same whether the
>> input was the mic input or the line input.
> John Lundsten wrote:
> Are you saying the "front end" noise is insignificant compared to
> the basic A/d noise?

Yes, that's more or less what I was saying.  I can't over-emphasize the dif=
ficulty of designing a good ADC that works over all the available sample ra=
tes, and runs off very low power too.  88 dB dynamic range performance is v=
ery good.  But there's really no point to using 1.5 times the storage space=
 to record 24 bits, when the bottom eight bits are just noise.

But I should say that when I tested the mic inputs, it was only at the leas=
t gain setting.  I have no doubt but what some gain settings would degrade =
the dynamic range more.  If there's interest, I can investigate the perform=
ance of the mic preamps further.

Eric