converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE

Subject: converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE
From: "Hector Centeno" hmcenteno
Date: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:00 am ((PST))
Hello,

This is my first post to the list (which I've been following since
some weeks ago). I just upgraded my Microtrack recorder to a Fostex
FR-L2E (which I intend to use as a soundscape recorder) and I would
like to use two unbalanced pair of microphones, an AT-822 and binaural
in-ear MM-BSM-8. WIth the Microtrack it was possible to just plug them
straight into the 1/4 inch inputs since it would take unbalanced or
balanced signals (which seems to have changed in the latest Microtrack
II that I returned to the store after finding it had terrible problems
with unbalanced signals). The FR-2LE seems to only take balanced mic
level signal through the XLR inputs. Would it be OK to connect the
unbalanced mics just using proper wiring or does anyone know of any
portable, not noisy way of converting the signal from unbalanced to
balanced? I've read about balancing devices but I haven't found any
fairly priced portable ones.

Thank you!

Hector Centeno
http://www.hcenteno.net