Re: converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE

Subject: Re: converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 am ((PST))
Hi Hector

There are a couple of ways to connect your unbalanced microphone to your FR2 LE.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can make up a basic lead yourself.

The XLR wiring is:

Pin 1 (X) is earth
Pin 2 (L) is signal hot
Pin 3 (R) is signal return.

So what you need to do with an unbalanced microphone is wire the signal cable
to Pin 2 and the earth / screen cable to pins 1 and 3.

This is the simplest method.

Alternatively you can get unbalanced to balanced adapters that use a
transformer to convert from unbalanced to balanced, or again you can buy these
transformers and make your own up.

I would give the first option a go first as most of the time this works quite
effectively and is the cheapest.

Phil