Re: converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE

Subject: Re: converting unbalanced signal to balanced and FR-2LE
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 am ((PST))
Hector,

I think you'll have to convert your mic cables to XLR, and not because
of the balanced vs unbalanced signal issue.

Page 42 of the FR-2LE manual describes the analog inputs

"These connectors are "combo" type (both 1/4" and XLR) and can connect
an external microphone via the XLR connector or an external line level
source via the 1/4" connector."

On page 50, the manual says

"The XLR connection accepts an analog signal between -50 dBu and -10
dBu...the phone plug accepts a -10 dBV analog audio signal."

-10 dBV is equivalent to -7.78 dBu

This says to me that the 1/4" inputs won't work well with a microphone
unless the audio source is extremely loud (rock band, plane taking
off, huge crashing waves, etc.)

To test this idea, I found an inexpensive Radio Shack mic with 1/4"
output in a drawer.  I plugged it into my FR-2LE and started
recording.  I had to talk in a very loud voice, a shout almost, to
register a signal.

So the 1/4" input is probably not the right choice if you're trying to
capture a natural ambience.  It might be just right to record steam
locomotives, however!

--oryoki