Re: re-cables and connectors

Subject: Re: re-cables and connectors
From: "Julian Baldwin" julianbaldwin
Date: Sat Dec 8, 2007 8:49 am ((PST))
Clint,
As regards making 'Y breakout' cables I would suggest that the easiest
method is to use a different (thinner) cable for the two mono outputs from a
5 pin XLR. I see no virtue in using star quad cable in this situation as
presumably the length of the cables from the 5pin XLR to the mixer input
will be quite short. I have not had a need to produce a cable like this but
I would imagine that the best sort of cable would be the type which is often
sold as 'patch' cable. This is often similar cable to a manufacturer's
standard mic cable but with a thinner jacket intended for less severe
conditions.
Suitable types might be:
Canford Audio HST-M  (4mm dia),
Vandamme Classic pro-patch R-268-006-000 (4.85mm dia)
Canare L-2E5  (4.6mm dia)

Getting two cables to emerge side by side from the gland of a Neutrik plug
will doubtless need some fiddling with a sharp knife but should be possible.
One point which may need extra attention if your cables are likely to get
wet is that two cables side-by-side will obviously not seal onto the
flexible plug gland and it may be desirable to bind the exit from the gland
with self-amalgamating tape and then cover the whole thing either with
gaffer tape or heat-shrink tubing.
I assume that you are considering using the HD XLR plugs for their water
resistant properties rather than resistance to being trodden on. If the HD
plugs are not available you could use ordinary plugs and wrap them with
self-adhesive PVC tape once mated. I see that Neutrik have an agent (Amber
Technology (NZ) Ltd in Auckland) who may be able to supply the HD plugs but
otherwise I suggest Canford Audio. If they are unable to post the plugs to
an area served by another Neutrik agent then let me know and I will obtain
and post them for you. Alternatively I have a friend who is coming to NZ in
mid Feb who would bring them for you. Note that 5pin may not be a stock item
so allow time.

Hope that helps.
Julian
Bristol, England