Re: AT3032 and instability in Sound Devices MixPre and 302, 442, MM-

Subject: Re: AT3032 and instability in Sound Devices MixPre and 302, 442, MM-
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:05 am ((PST))
At 12:16 PM +0000 11/28/07, artsonics wrote:

>  Anyone know whats really going on
>hear in laymans terms.

The phantom power supplied by the 302/Mix Pre can fail to supply some
mics the power they need to operate correctly. The cause seems to be
more complicated than simple phantom voltage or amperage output and
mic requirements. The 302 reacts to the mic's modulations by
exaggerating and amplifying them.

I see SD lists the AT 4073 as one problem mic they know of. I imagine
there are other mics not on their list. Phill you might want to send
SD a sound file example. I've experienced this with other mics on my
mp-2 at the highest gain setting, but usually it goes away with a
slight gain reduction.

My solution, if the at3032's present a persistent problem, would be
to insert an ART PB224  phantom power supply between the mics and the
302/Mix Pre and turn off the phantom power on the 302 (like one
solution they suggest). Personally, I would not opt to use low Hz
roll-off filter solution as this removes important data from the
recording. Rob D.