Re: New rules in from Interior Dept

Subject: Re: New rules in from Interior Dept
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 pm ((PDT))
At 7:14 PM -0700 10/17/07, Bernie Krause wrote:
>  > Check this out, folks.
>
>Bernie
>
>  > From: SEJNews <<jdavis2%40starpower.net>>
>  > Date: October 17, 2007 3:08:58 PM PDT
>  > To: <sej-tipsheet%40sej.org>
>  > Cc: <sej-watchdog%40sej.org>
>  > Subject: SEJ-TIPSHEET: WATCHDOG EDITION of 17 OCTOBER 2007
>  >
>  > TIPSHEET WATCHDOG EDITION
>  > 17 OCTOBER 2007
>  >
>  > This biweekly WatchDog edition of TipSheet focuses on First Amendment
>  > issues of concern to environmental journalists. You can find a fuller
>  > version of most articles, frequent updates, and other tools and
>  > information on the Web site of the Society of Environmental
>  > Journalists.
>  >
>  > TipSheet WatchDog Edition is produced by the SEJ as an ongoing
>  > activity
>  > of its First Amendment Task Force
><<http://www.sej.org/foia/>http://www.sej.org/foia/
>  > index6.htm>,
>  > and distributed through the TipSheet partnership between SEJ and the
>  > Radio & Television News Directors Foundation. The contents of TipSheet
>  > WatchDog are posted to the FOI area of the SEJ Web site at
>  > <<http://www.sej.org/foia/index7.htm>http://www.sej.org/foia/index7.ht=
m>.
>  >
... <snip>

Hi Bernie--
Aaron posted a similar alert on the Phonography list. I've
encountered permit requirements and was told by a Federal Wildlife
Refuge administrator that a uniform policy change was in the making.

Its not a complex process to leave a comment.
The proposed rule changes: pdf and [htm] are here http://tinyurl.com/28u6x3

http://tinyurl.com/2zhgaz will take you to a page listing rule
changes awaiting comment. Scroll down to docket DOI-2007-0035. The
comment link is on the far right.

Here's the comment I left:

The proposed changes seem okay as per large commercial "shoots" but
does it hurt anyone or the park for an individual to film, take
photos or record sound?  Individuals need to be able to record
without a complex permit process. I encountered similar policy at
federal lands and I was unable to record sound without waiting two
days for the administrator to read and grant my request. As a result,
the birds I was interested in recording had left. The proposed policy
regarding timing: (Sec.  5.8) is too vague. It gives the
administrator  unspecified time to respond. I would suggest that
individuals need only fill out a form stating when and what they are
doing so that if questions arise, the person can be contacted. Why
create the permit paperwork for someone only wishing to photograph
and record nature sounds? Creating records of the natural events
promotes the value of the lands. We need to encourage, not discourage
this. Rob D.