Re: Zoom H2 Self-Noise Test

Subject: Re: Zoom H2 Self-Noise Test
From: "Ted Coffey" twcoffey1
Date: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:01 am ((PDT))
Stuart,
You are correct the figure others have measured for the Zoom H2 seems
to be close to the -120db value. My test was not run with the same
settings used in these tests. I think my test has value in that with
the gain cranked to max on both the recorder and the microphone
settings I definitely do not get a low self-noise condition but
instead one about -60db.  This indicates to me that low self-noise
values are not achieved with high gain settings which is often the
case when recording low level nature sounds.  It is obvious from this
that low noise recordings require close microphone location along with
strong source sound levels.
Ted

--- In  "Stuart" <> wrote:

> Ted it should be in the Nat Rec archives in the last few weeks.
However you
> seem to be on the track of the situation. The figure I had in mind was
> -120dB and I think you quote -62dB in your test.
>

> Stuart.
>

>    _____

6/10/2007
> 7:12 PM