Re: Zoom H2 Self-Noise Test

Subject: Re: Zoom H2 Self-Noise Test
From: "G W" gwapuffin
Date: Tue Oct 9, 2007 6:23 am ((PDT))
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

----- Original Message ----
From: Ted Coffey <>
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2007 7:11:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Zoom H2 Self-Noise Test

Gerald,
I failed to note that the recording level was set yo 127 the max
level. I have not tried this test at other levels but maybe that would
be informative. I did vary the resistor value over a range of 10 ohms
to 10,000 ohms and did not notice any significance. I think I'll add
that recording level info to the data file.
Can you give me a link to Rob's web page of the data you referenced?
I'll see if I can correlate.
The data I collected would represent a level of noise around 60 db
below the maximum recording level just below the clipping level.
There is variation based on frequency. The low frequencies are worst
of all reaching -50db but that is in a region that is not a problem.
The values in the 2000 to 6000 hz range are most important to me.

Ted

--- In naturerecordists@ yahoogroups. com, G W < ..> wrote:

> Ted,
> I struggle with interpreting test numbers so perhaps your test is
self explanatory, please help me get a handle on your test.
> I looked at Rob's web page where he describes the self-noise of the
HIMD and find it difficult to relate that info to yours. If the HIMD
numbers in Rob's information were represented as -db, what would that
be? Or the point of my question is what is the difference between the
two units? Would the gain setting on the H-2 make a difference with
the external mic shorted with the resister or does that produce max gain?
> Gerald White Muscatine, IA

knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html