1. Re: What is a natural sound?

Subject: 1. Re: What is a natural sound?
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm ((PDT))
I find Bernie's analysis pretty concise and satisfying.

I don't think it's as simple as 'natural sounds' are only sounds that
are soothing and free from civilization.  Nor do I think 'everything'
is a 'natural sound'.

I think if you're looking for concrete, 'perfect' answers from the
natural world you're barking up the wrong tree.

The definition of a 'natural sound' ends up being completed in each
person's own head because of the way we interpret the words.  But the
way Bernie breaks it down seems logical and keeps us all in the same
ballpark.

If someone insists on discussing urban recordings here I, for one,
will ask for it to cease.

Some sounds from the anthrophony operate in a similar way to ones from
the biophony though.  Sirens for example.  And in that sense, I could
understand an argument for that being a natural sound.

Also re: recording in the rain.  It's a challenge, but rain will
always be hitting 'something'...that's the sound.  So you've got
todecide what you want to record it hitting, trees, water, grass, etc.
 'Hogs hair' [AC filters] are a good way to protect gear and dampen
the sound of rain hitting directly onto the windshield or other gear.
 That helps you be more anonymous in your recording.  This would be
less effective in a deluge though.  Cover an umbrella with the stuff
and figure out how to suspend it over your mic.

Danny