Re: acceptable differences in mics for stereo

Subject: Re: acceptable differences in mics for stereo
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:53 pm ((PDT))
Simon and Walt,

Thanks for the extremely helpful replies. I now have a better idea of
what to reasonably expect from the AT3032's.

I'm sure that it's a mic issue as I have placed the mics side by side
to try to eliminate the stereo field as far as possible.

My (homebrew) preamp has a stepped gain control with quite large
attenuation steps. I'll try rebuilding them so I've got a bit more
control over fine channel balance. It seems that getting a proper
balance at the source is a better option than tweaking the balance on
the recording in post production.

I'll have a bit more of a play with the mics over the weekend, which
should give me a better idea of how balanced they are tonally.

cheers
Paul