Re: acceptable differences in mics for stereo

Subject: Re: acceptable differences in mics for stereo
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Paul Jacobson"

> Hi All
>
> Just curious what variation in mics is acceptable for stereo
> recording, and is it feasible to compensate after the fact?
>
> I ask the question as I have recently bought 2 x AT3032 from diffrent =

> sources, one of which turns out to be from a old production batch,
> while the other purchased from an online source seems to be from a
> far more recent run - I'm guessing at 4 years between runs based on
> batch codes.
>
> The main issue is with a preamp giving 60dB gain I'm getting a 1.4dB
> hotter signal from one mic.

There is nothing wrong with using a different preamp setting for each
channel to balance the recording. But make sure it's not a
characteristic of the stereo field itself you are balancing out. In
stereo it's not unusual for there to be a level difference between
channels. Usually that's variable with time, but not always. If it's
steady it's a judgment call if you should neutralize it.

On my stereo pairs only one was a original matched pair of mics. The
rest were all individually bought used MKH mics. I don't see a problem
with that. In M/S you pair up entirely different mics.

One way to hear if you have a problem with your pair is to switch the
mics and see if any sound character follows them. If there is a distinct
difference it might be worthwhile having the service folks check them
out. High end mics hardly differ at all, lower end ones will differ a
bit more, so you have to judge if it's just normal variation.