Flash equipment question from a science reporter

Subject: Flash equipment question from a science reporter
From: "Molly Bentley" bentley_mcb
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:50 pm ((PDT))
Hello,

I just joined the naturerecording group on suggestion of
Bernie Krause.  I'm a radio science reporter and thinking of
updating my recording equipment.  I use a 7-year old
minidisc recorder, if you can believe it!  I'm thinking of
investing in a flash recorder.

I would be grateful to hear what the group recommends.

What I need it for:  I don't do nature recording per se -
most of my recordings are with people (interviews), although
I often need to include ambient sound and action in various
locations (ie: dolphins (above water), a walk through a
forest, a demonstration on a boat...)

Ideally, the equipment would be be as light as possible - or
at least quite portable - since I'm often running around
(outdoors or at conferences).

In addition, I'd love your thoughts on quality lavalier
mikes - the last ones I used were 10 years old so I have no
idea what's out now.  But I'd like to do some interviews
without having to pass the microphone back and forth!

These are very basic questions about equipment, I'm afraid -
I'm sure your discussions are much more advanced!

Thank you,
Molly Bentley