Re: Mic experts unite!

Subject: Re: Mic experts unite!
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "George Paul"

> Questions for the microphone experts:
>
> 1. What is the latest thinking on how good the Audio Technica 3032 omni is?
>
> Walt Knapp put two of them in a Crown SASS unit for me.  I have just come
> back from my
> first field test and will post the results in a couple of days.  The
> recordings sound good,
> but I have no reference to compare them to.

I've only compared them to the MKH-20 in the SASS.

Compared to the MKH-20 they are not quite as detailed or clear a sound.
This would be most noticeable when recording quiet ambiance, or trying
for extra reach from the SASS. In both cases you would not be able to
clearly record as quiet a ambiance with them compared to the MKH-20, nor
reach out quite so far into quiet soundfields. In louder sites the
detail from them is not quite as crisp and well defined as MKH-20 as well.

Note these differences are small, they perform quite well, particularly
considering the price. Those that are not experienced with recording
with a MKH-20 SASS might not even notice the difference.

Note there is a new MKH omni due out from Sennheiser that might be
better than the MKH-20's. Don't know yet.

I guess the bottom line is that the AT3032 may be a good alternative to
MKH for the SASS. For those that can't get their hands on the MKH.

> 2.  What happens when mics don't perform well in humidity?
>
> I will be taking the AT 3032s to a humid environment in three weeks.  If they
> don't do well
> down there, what will I notice?
>
> stop working completely?
> click?
> fungus growth?
>
> How will I know they are not working right?

They will continue to perform normally if working right, humidity
problems you can hear. Be sure and monitor your recording as you go. And
learn whats the normal sound of the mics before you go on your trip.
Crackle, sputter or hum sorts of sound are probably the most common
indicators of humidity problems. It may simply sound like the self noise
got louder. If bad enough you'd not want the recording from them.

Generally if they develop humidity problems they will return to normal
once they dry out. On the SASS the windscreen should help keep them dry
if it's kept dry. Would not hurt to have along some silica gel just in case.

Not a lot for fungus to live off of in the mics, that's a very
infrequent problem and then usually it's in windscreens. Frequent use in
humid environments could increase stuff depositing in the mic. But
nowhere near what one smoker can do to a mic.

Compared to MKH mics they are more vulnerable. MKH use a low voltage RF
frequency to polarize the mics rather than higher voltages. The higher
the voltage used in polarization the more likely humidity will be a problem.

I don't remember anyone reporting humidity problems, but I'm sure they
have not been used in the field enough yet to be sure. Time will tell
how durable it is in the field.