Re: Field Experience

Subject: Re: Field Experience
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:27 pm ((PDT))
At 11:33 AM -0500 7/30/07, Bruce wrote:
>I am not sure what started this "hostility" towards gear and 24-bit
>recording.

Hi Bruce--
Patience was tried but it wasn't as much hostility as expectations
for useful evidence and examples after claims were made.

>You could record at low gains all the time in
>16-bit and wonder later why the recordings come out laced with noise.

Even at low record level settings, the noise should stem from your
mics and pre (more likely the self-noise from your mics with your new
pre). From math reasoning and field examples, if one records 16 bit
background levels to obtain at least -55dBFS, that should provide a
full 55dB of dynamic range for close, loud sounds with no
quantization noise introduced. I'm wondering what other sources of
noise there might be,..

Some recordists have the option of 24 bit recording and accommodating
a large dynamic range in the field with that setting is easier. That
said, there is also a very good chance that the same "large dynamic
range" is fully recordable with 16 bits. The ability to capture peaks
55dB above background levels would seem to be quite suitable for most
natural locations. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts