Field Experience

Subject: Field Experience
From: "Scott Connop" turaconi
Date: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:44 am ((PDT))
I would like to echo Walter Knapp's comment to a certain degree. When the
thread on 24 bit vs. 16 bit got heated, I had the sense that what Walter was
trying to do was emphasize field knowledge and technique. In other words, there
was little sense arguing about minute (relatively speaking) differences in
sound quality when field recordists were not doing their utmost to maintain
sound integrity through technique in the field. One of the greatest headaches I
ever experienced in the field came from using my gear in humid tropical
environments. The number of things that can go wrong while standing on a narrow
path in the Amazon while a thunderstorm is bearing down are vast and varied and
one learns that the greatest leap in sound quality starts with the original
capture of the sound. After that, all of us can get carried away with the
wealth of ability we now possess to duplicate and process those sounds.

Scott Connop