Re: New member looking for advice

Subject: Re: New member looking for advice
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:53 am ((PDT))
Hi Clint,

can't comment on the recorders as I'm a consumer mini-disc "bottom
feeder".

If you have the budget don't bother going for the low end shotguns.
The combination of low sensitivity and relatively high self-noise
guarantees you'll be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later.  I
initially purchased a AT897 which had better self noise, but lower
sensitivity than the NTG's, and found the self noise pretty
intrusive. I recently upgraded to the ME66/K6 and have found it to be
vast improvement.

I've also recently picked up some closed back sennheiser HD-280Pro's
which are pretty nice and have plenty of isolation for monitoring
purposes. Others swear by Sony MDR-7605 and variants, and the
Sennheiser HD-25's. You'll find that open headphones tend to "bleed"
sound and you can end up with very ugly feedback in the worst cases.

 From personal experience I'd highly recommend http://
www.bhphotovideo.com.  I purchased a K-Tek shockmount and grip and
the ME66/K6 combo from them, and had no problems and very quick
shipping to Australia. The ME66 ended up being $300-400AU cheaper
than the local street price.

hope this helps
Paul

On 25/07/2007, at 2:29 PM, artsonics wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>    I am very happy to have discovered this group. My name is clint
> williams. I live in New Zealand. For the last few months I have been
> looking for info on good....no...VERY GOOD solid state recorders. My
> main interest is in sampling sounds and FX mainly for computer music
> however I also have a passion for birdsongs and environment ambiances
> and a love of sound in general. I have quite an extensive home studio
> built around a fostex 8 track reel to reel and 2 track machines with a
> collection of analog synthesizers all a bit redundant in this computer
> age and I am still floundering my way around computers having not
> quite jumped completely on the bandwagon so to speak as I have been
> daunted by the rapid change in PC/digital technology. I am preparing
> myself for a fast learning curve...having left it late. I would be
> gratefull for advice on field recorders and while i have looked thru
> some old posts I hope some sympathetic person of much wisdom can point
> me in the right direction.
> I am considering the following machines: FostexFR2LE, Edirol R09,
> Marantz PDM671, or the Korg MR1000 (which I Know is disc based and not
> strictly a solid state unit) Looking thru the specs of these they all
> seem to have something I like and shortcomings elsewhere. I exclude
> the sound devices on price alone. Sony has a machine that hasn't been
> dicussed on this forum (PCM D1) and niether has the Korg MR1000 and
> the 1bit rate DSD behind this technology looks very exciting to me,I
> only wonder if the transfer to PC of recordings done on a machine of
> this calibre are maintained to the same integrity given that we don't
> have sound cards of this spec yet that I know. can any of these
> machines double up as sound cards for the PC for my other
> equipement when not used in the field.
> My requisites for a good recorder are: sound quality, ruggedness,
> portabilty, battery life (I like the fact the Marantz has on board
> charging ability without need for separate charger)however a recent
> user of the PMD671 remarked about less than excellent preamps. Other
> important features would be long record times, XLR in, Phantom
> power...etc you folks can remind me what I forgot to mention.....Plus
> a good shotgun mics (I am looking at sennheiser K6 series or
> RodeNTG1/2 .I am also interested in parabolics and quality monitoring
> headphones (closedback?). As you can see I need your
> helpful advice.
> Then theres the Pc soundcard to buy and looking at the Motu ultralite
> unless any of these recorders can double up.
> Lastly does anyone know of a reputable US retailer that sells
> international as prices in US look much cheaper than local?
> Thankyou.
>
>                  regards clint

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: