New member looking for advice

Subject: New member looking for advice
From: "artsonics" artsonics
Date: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 pm ((PDT))
Hello everyone,
   I am very happy to have discovered this group. My name is clint
williams. I live in New Zealand. For the last few months I have been
looking for info on good....no...VERY GOOD solid state recorders. My
main interest is in sampling sounds and FX mainly for computer music
however I also have a passion for birdsongs and environment ambiances
and a love of sound in general. I have quite an extensive home studio
built around a fostex 8 track reel to reel and 2 track machines with a
collection of analog synthesizers all a bit redundant in this computer
age and I am still floundering my way around computers having not
quite jumped completely on the bandwagon so to speak as I have been
daunted by the rapid change in PC/digital technology. I am preparing
myself for a fast learning curve...having left it late. I would be
gratefull for advice on field recorders and while i have looked thru
some old posts I hope some sympathetic person of much wisdom can point
me in the right direction.
I am considering the following machines: FostexFR2LE, Edirol R09,
Marantz PDM671, or the Korg MR1000 (which I Know is disc based and not
strictly a solid state unit) Looking thru the specs of these they all
seem to have something I like and shortcomings elsewhere. I exclude
the sound devices on price alone. Sony has a machine that hasn't been
dicussed on this forum (PCM D1) and niether has the Korg MR1000 and
the 1bit rate DSD behind this technology looks very exciting to me,I
only wonder if the transfer to PC of recordings done on a machine of
this calibre are maintained to the same integrity given that we don't
have sound cards of this spec yet that I know. can any of these
machines double up as sound cards for the PC for my other
equipement when not used in the field.
My requisites for a good recorder are: sound quality, ruggedness,
portabilty, battery life (I like the fact the Marantz has on board
charging ability without need for separate charger)however a recent
user of the PMD671 remarked about less than excellent preamps. Other
important features would be long record times, XLR in, Phantom
power...etc you folks can remind me what I forgot to mention.....Plus
a good shotgun mics (I am looking at sennheiser K6 series or
RodeNTG1/2 .I am also interested in parabolics and quality monitoring
headphones (closedback?). As you can see I need your
helpful advice.
Then theres the Pc soundcard to buy and looking at the Motu ultralite
unless any of these recorders can double up.
Lastly does anyone know of a reputable US retailer that sells
international as prices in US look much cheaper than local?
Thankyou.

                 regards clint