Re: Do you know of hummingbirds that make recognizable sounds?

Subject: Re: Do you know of hummingbirds that make recognizable sounds?
From: "George Paul" geopaul7
Date: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:30 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Doug Von Gausig <> wrote:

> At 12:02 PM 7/15/2007, you wrote:
>
> >While viewing the amazing pictures of a hummingbird nest (see the link
> >below), I wondered if any "hummers" make recognizable sounds. Do you
> >know of any hummers that make unique sounds?
> >
> ><http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/page6.html>http://
community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/page6.html

> All hummers make unique, recognizable sounds. Each species has it's
> specific songs and calls. In fact, hummers exhibit some of the most complex
> vocal behavior of all birds. I have been able to identify phonemes and
> "punctuation" in hummer vocalizations.
>
> Doug
> ***************************************
> Doug Von Gausig
> Digitally Recorded Birds Sounds at:
> http://naturesongs.com/birds.html
> Clarkdale, Central Arizona, USA
> e-mail:
> ***************************************

To give an example of this, please see this video and sound of a Scaly breasted
hummingbird, Phaeochroa cuvierii, which was shot in the lowlands of Belize, in
Chan Chich
preserve there.  You can hear another song answering, or perhaps competing with
this
song.  The song is quite recognizable.  It sounds very interesting played at
half speed.

http://web.mac.com/geopaul/iWeb/Video%20camera%20Series/Welcome.html

Click on the tab that says Scaly breasted hummingbird.

Shot with an Audio Technica shotgun microphone and using the preamps of the
camera,
and recorded at 48K at 16 bit onto the DVCAM digital tape.

GP