2. Re: Visit to the Master Recordists

Subject: 2. Re: Visit to the Master Recordists
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "George Paul"

> Thanks John:  I imagine it is possible, but I don't know how that
> would have happened.  I am at the office now and don't have access to
> my sound editor, which is Apple's Logic Pro version 7.2.
>
> However, at least I thought I bounced the 24 bit file in Logic Pro
> down to an MP3 in the normal fashion.  I did not see that there were
> ways to get idiosyncratic bit rates when one does that, at least on
> purpose.  I will check that out tonight, particularly the 320 kbps
> vs. 193 kbps issue.  Quite disconcerting.

It's possible these readings are some software that does not understand
VBR (variable bit rate) files. Again, it's windows software that most
often has problems with VBR. VBR is very valuable for reducing file size
  while preserving quality. It's been around and implemented for a long
time, at least 10 years. But many programmers just keep using old code
that does not read it correctly.

I know, within this group, every time I used VBR files there would be
some who's software would balk. But it's been some time since I put up a
VBR file. I just end up with lower quality on a fixed bit rate file to
post so that I won't have to deal with those with poor software. It
would be nice if everyone checked their software capabilities carefully
and got software that was up to date. Then somewhat higher quality files
could be posted without increasing file size.

The bottom line is that most of these problems are not the fault of the
person posting, but of the people who do not keep their computer systems
up to date. Before pointing at the poster, check your own system and
make sure it's completely modern. This is especially true if what you
are trying to get down was produced by Apple software which is generally
kept up to date with the latest features. Windows software is much more
sloppy about updating.

> Or, could it be the server?

The server is sending the mp3 file in the normal manner here. Of course
my macs have no problems with the spaces in the filenames. If you are on
dialup (as I am) or another slow connection your download will come down
in pieces and you can start playing it when only a few seconds are down.
But if you wait until it's all down it will all play. Some browsers will
have a progress bar, others no real indicator.