Re: MS Confusion

Subject: Re: MS Confusion
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jun 4, 2007 8:15 am ((PDT))
> Re: MS Confusion
>     Posted by: "Tim Nielsen"  supernielsen
>     Date: Sun Jun 3, 2007 8:54 am ((PDT))
>
> Yes that would explain it perfectly, as the MS system isn't designed
> for a S signal that is strong than the M. 100% is the 'widest' stereo =

> signal you can achieve without introducing those phase anomalies into =

> the stereo.
>
> It will start to sound 'wider' as you increase the S above M, but as
> pointed out, it will quickly begin to sound phasey.

One of the advantages of M/S is this adjustment. But as noted it has
limitations. Use decoding that allows this adjustment of the ratio and
listen carefully. I'm not convinced that phase metering is the way to go
over listening carefully.

I set the levels when I record for a optimum recording from both mics.
In other words the meters on the recorder will show peaks at about the
same level. (and the gain setting will usually be different) Doing that
I find that I use well less S than M in the mix. This is because I'm
pointing the mid at the main callers and the side is mostly picking up
ambiance which is quieter.