Re: MS Confusion

Subject: Re: MS Confusion
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sun Jun 3, 2007 8:03 am ((PDT))
<<After playing around with some files I have discovered that
the out-of-phase that I was seeing on Audition's Phase Analyzer
happens when I increase the S-width in both the MDA and Voxengo plug-
ins. If I decode at 100% for M and S, the phasing seems fine, but
registers out of phase with an increase in S. Is this explainable? >>

If your phase analyzer display mimics a dual input oscilloscope,
perfectly in phase stereo appears as a diagonal smear, rather like a
spiral nebula viewed edge on, going from upper right to lower left.
The thinner the line, the more mono the content. The thicker or more
donut-like the shape (more like a globular cluster,) the more stereo
width is being shown. A line going from upper left to lower right is
anti-phase. This is bad. Random phase, shown as roundness, is fine,
as long as there is still a strong sense of the 45 degree diagonal
from upper right to lower left.

Scott Fraser