16 bit vs 24 bit Information Theory Hypothesis

Subject: 16 bit vs 24 bit Information Theory Hypothesis
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 7:06 am ((PDT))
I am a newbie.

However, why isn't 24 bit superior to 16 bit by reason of the Second Law of=

Thermodynamics and Information Theory?  The righteous entropy thing?

I don't know anything about bit depth, or words, and look forward to learni=
ng.  But wildly
guessing at what is going on, it would seem that 24 bits has more informati=
on in the
digital file than does 16 bits. Is this true, or is it the same amount of i=
nformation
organized differently?

If we have more information, then why aren't we creating a representation o=
f reality that is
superior?  All we have is information in the final analysis.  It is just or=
ganized and hooked
up to devices.

How could a representation of reality with less information in it be equal =
to a
representation of reality with more information in it?  Or if the informati=
on is the same in
"quantity," but different in organization, who could things be the same?

How much more "information" does 24 bit have in it than 16 bit, everything =
else being
equal?  Can anyone quantify that?  Does it have more information?

And for those who think 24 bit is by definiion better, the same or worse th=
an 16 bit,
please explain what the recording complex does with this additional informa=
tion, if there
is more.

Thanks.