Re: SoundDevices frontend

Subject: Re: SoundDevices frontend
From: "Neil Bruce" lightb4sound
Date: Thu May 24, 2007 1:20 pm ((PDT))
Hi There Danny

Thank you for your reply. I have done what I think it quite
comprehensive research on all the recorders (including your helpful
experiences!). My main reluctance about the FR2 is it's battery life,
2-2.5 hours isn't really going to cut it with me I think, no matter how
good the unit is (Unless the promised tamiya battery is now available
and works!). The LE/Tascam over come that problem, but as Aaron
discusses I am worried about CF issues, including the fact that I may
not be able to back them up at the end of the day (or for quite a few
days).

The other issue is that in the past when ever I have brought something
in the 'prosumer' arena, it is instantly updated by something better!
Murphy's law applies to me in huge quantities! So my idea was to but a
decent preamp/mixer and use it with a prosumer backend which I would not
be too bothered about replacing in the future when a more cost effective
solution become available. I could at a push get the SD702 and I know
that it is great, but I am worried for the same reason about CF cards
and backups in remote locations.

Thanks for your help

Neil