Re: SoundDevices frontend

Subject: Re: SoundDevices frontend
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Thu May 24, 2007 7:16 am ((PDT))
--- In  "lightb4sound" <> wrote:

>  A current idea is to get an excellent
> preamp as a front end to either a new Hi-MD or something like FR2LE,
> or even my current R-09. Currently thinking along the lines of the
> SoundDevices Mixpre or the 302. This means that I would have a great
> preamp section and could be more flexible in the future when newer
> devices come out (which the will do as soon as I buy a recorder!) I
> have learnt my lessons the hard way in the past and only want to
> invest in quality gear.
>
> My question is....has anyone tried this? What are the results like?

Neil:

I currently do something like that.  I have a Sound Devices MP-2, which I p=
ut in front of a
Sony portable DAT.  I am probably the only person on this list who still us=
es a DAT.

I think the bottom line is that neither the pre-amp, nor the DAT, is the li=
miting factor in
the system.  This is the mic.  I could probably go up to the top of the lin=
e in mics and still
not see any limitation from an excellent pre-amp/ antique recording device =
system.

I currently am planning on getting a Sound Devices 722, but may get new mic=
s first.

I think what you are planning is basically sound, if you can put up with th=
e other
characteristics of the recording device, like in my case, the slow transfer=
 of file from the
tape, and the fact that tape is used at all.

GP