sea birds / mic planting and cabling techniques

Subject: sea birds / mic planting and cabling techniques
From: "Andrew Carter" standlynch
Date: Wed May 23, 2007 6:34 am ((PDT))
Hi Dave -
I shall probably be on the Treshnish Isles when you are on the Shiants -
so almost in sight!
I cant really help on the mic planting etc as I've not done that.
I've been recording seabirds there whilst visiting for a week of
censusing/ringing and fitting the recording in on top the last 3 years.
Treshnish birds are pretty used to visitors.
Puffins - tend to congregate in favorite places,esp in the evenings -
and after a couple of days you would spot these. I've just positioned a
mic on a small (mini) tripod close up, withdrawn  and got a nice recording.
Razorbills - similar to the Puffins - a stealth approach to get the mic
in place where they are on rocks close to the breeding positions.
Guillemots - depend how close you want the mic - I've just recorded the
sounds of the colonies from a sensible distance, and collected the
Kittiwakes that breed below.
Storm Petrels - just no problems - go along at dusk and enjoy the sounds.
Of course you will also get Skylark, Twite, Snipe and poss Corncrake.
My shopping list for for this year is gulls/terns (subject to
disturbance issues) and Bonxie.
Have fun - arn't Scottish Isles wonderful places - and all with no cars!

Andrew

--
Remember plan 9th May 2009 for a day without cars

- Be a butterfly and stop a hurricane