Re: sea birds / mic planting and cabling techniques

Subject: Re: sea birds / mic planting and cabling techniques
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon May 28, 2007 9:04 am ((PDT))
From: Eric Schmidt

>   Here is a trick I've used at the Olympics where we had to have lots of =
cable
>   (audio, video, and communications) set up for many days.
>
>   Drape the ends of the cable and connector over a branch or something to=
 get
>   it off the ground and hanging perpendicular to it.
>
>   Take a medium sized ziplock bag (heavier than sandwich bags) and cut a =
hole
>   in one corner to slip the cable through the cut hole. The big open zipp=
ered
>   end is facing down. Using electrical tape or another waterproof tape, t=
ape
>   the bag to the cable at the small cut end. Connect the cables inside th=
>   bag, making sure the bag covers or surrounds all of the connectors.
>
>   Have the bag hanging with the open end down. Do not zip it up.
>
>   If the top end is taped well it will be water proof and no rain, dew, e=
tc.
>   will get in to the cable connectors.
>
>   With the bottom end open condensation will not form and affect the
>   connectors.

There is a more elegant solution at least for XLR. And it's quicker to
set up. Use the Neutric X-HD series connectors, which are waterproof
when connected together. All my cables use these and I don't have
moisture problems with them.

That is except once when I was out waist deep in a pond recording Gopher
Frogs with the SASS. The fabric covered Y cable on the SASS dipped it's
end into the pond (it only sticks a couple inches below the mic, so now
you know my mic positioning). The fabric cover wicked the water in and I
had to get out and put a new Y on. The wet Y was no worse for it when it
dried.