Re: 24 bit vs 16 bit recordings

Subject: Re: 24 bit vs 16 bit recordings
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sat May 19, 2007 10:56 am ((PDT))
Kyle, not to worry. If you recorded in 24 bit, you have 'over'
recorded for your CD project, and it's as simple as downconverting
your sounds into 16 bit. Be aware that there is a process called
'Dithering' that you'll most likely want to apply when you convert.

I also wouldn't convert into MP3 at all. MP3 isn't as good of a
quality as a CD, so in fact you took something better than a CD,
converted it to something worse than a CD, and then converted 'that'
to CD quality.

It's probably a good idea to record 44.1 if your end goal is a CD.
But the 24/16 bit thing isn't as much of an issue. True, recorded at
24 bits, it won't go directly to a CD, but it's an easy and fast
conversion to 16 bit, via software. But avoid the MP3 before you burn
a CD. Save MP3 for putting your sounds on the internet.

Reminds me a thread I was just reading, where someone had an 88
minute sound he wanted to put on a CD, so he converted his 44.1 sound
to 22kHz, thinking his CD would now hold twice as much, and then
became irate when his CD burning software 'upsampled' his track back
to 44.1

CD's are always, and can only be, 16-Bit and 44.1 kHz, if it's a true
'audio' CD. There aren't any other options.