Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sun May 13, 2007 10:35 pm ((PDT))
I must agree with you Tim.

Since DVDs and hard drive space are cheap these days and still getting
cheaper, I say whenever you can, record in the highest bit depth your
equipment is capable of.
Even so, many great recordings have been made on MiniDiscs in
compressed Altrac formats so do not be discouraged if that is the best
you have to work with.
And sometimes it is necessary to sacrifice bit depth for longer
recording time in order to increase the chances of getting the
recording sought.  With my HiMD recorder I sometimes record one 1GB
disc through night in HiSP mode so not to miss anything while I sleep,
and then switch to PCM with a fresh disc just before dawn.

John Hartog