Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Sun May 13, 2007 12:15 pm ((PDT))
Yes, David is right. I agree that the editing procedure should be done
at a higher resolution than 16 bit. But that does not mean that you
need to initailly record in 24 bit! The format conversion can simply
be done before starting the editing procedure (most audio editing
applications do that automatically).

We naturerecordists usually deal with relatively low dynamic ranges
that can be easily covered by the 16 bit format. Even if you record a
loudly singing bird at a close distance, the sound level at the
microphone will usually never reach 80 dB. Then subtrcat the self
noise level of the microphone (e.g. 5 dBA if you have a good very good
one) and you will get a theoretic dynamic range of about 75dB only.
So, there is still enough head and foot room within the theoretic
dynamic range of the 16 bit format (96dB). Please note that I still
have not included the background noise (such as traffic noise, wind
noise and so on) into that calculation...

Raimund