Re: EMKS-23 & other PIP mics compared

Subject: Re: EMKS-23 & other PIP mics compared
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 am ((PDT))
Jerry White conducted some careful comparison tests of mics that will
operate on Hi-MD PIP. In addition to Klas' new configuration of his
EM23, the EMKS-23, the test includes four of the small
omni-directional mics popular because of their versatility, ease to
shock-mount and simple/ low-profile powering requirements. The lowest
noise mic I could fit into this PIP compatible group was a Rode NT-4
with a claimed 16dB(A) self-noise and 12mV/Pa sensitivity.

Here are three different delivery modes for the test:

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/mediafiles/EMKS23-183-NT4-6=
1A-158-0190Lrg.mov
QuickTime movie with 16bit/48K soundtrack [9mb]

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/mediafiles/EMKS23-183-NT4-6=
1A-158-0190Sm.mov
QuickTime movie with compressed soundtrack [9mb]

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/mediafiles/EMKS23-183-NT4-6=
1A-158-0190.mp3
silent, mp3 48K/256 kbs,  [1.3mb]

In order, the mic capsules are:
EMKS-23 (based on the Primo EM-23 with Klas' FET)
Shure WL-183
Rode NT-4 (X-Y rig) - no pad in the cable
Panasonic WM-61A (stock, no Linkwitz mod)
Primo EM-158
Rapid 35-0190 (single capsules, not  Tom's tri-capsule design)

nh-700 Hi-MD gain was at "28." All capsules, except the NT-4, were
tested in a head-spaced, parallel boundary rig. For more about this
stereo rig http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com/

The test suggests to me that Klas' EMKS-23 mics may be the lowest
noise PIP-powerable mics commercially available. This is especially
impressive because they are operating on the low voltage/power
supplied by a Hi-MD recorder in this test.  The only possible
"contender" I am aware of might be the DPA 4060 which typically
require an external battery supply when used with PIP recorders like
Hi-MD.  Anyone who looking for omni mic capsules of this size/type
for recording in quiet locations should definitely consider the
EMKS-23. I hope that Klas and Doug are in a position to increase the
production and marketing effort for the EMKS-23.

The self-noise of the other mics in the test is much higher and much
closer in overall impact than I anticipated. The frequency
distribution or character of the noise differs so much that it is
very difficult to establish "matched playback levels" to the extent
possible with the mic pre tests.  One can sense why many recordists
quickly decide to move up to mics on the caliber of the EMKS-23 or
low-noise phantom-powered mic options if they record in quiet
locations.

I'm fairly confident about the results in this test because Jerry
confirmed the performance of the EM-158's, the WL-183's and the Hi-MD
recorders with redundant units and tests.

Thanks for the great testing Jerry!
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson