Fostex FR2LE query

Subject: Fostex FR2LE query
From: "mopani" wyness2001
Date: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 am ((PDT))
There was talk recently about the Fostex FR2LE looking good but the crunch
being how the preamps performed. I'm wondering if anyone has information on
this yet as I'm in the market for a decent recording device.

I recently worked intensively with the Tascam HD P2 and was very irate at the
fact that it wouldn't work at all with rechargeables. I tried two types,
sourced in the UK at Maplins; Uniross NiMH AAs and Maplin's own 'high
performance' brand. Prices seem to confirm that these are good quality and they
work in other devices. The Tascam worked fine with Duracells. Maybe somebody
can tell me if it's because the rechargeables are rated at 1.2 volts.

I've no doubt that the Tascam will work with some rechargeables but as I found
out to my cost, not with all. Also some people have said not to trust
rechargeables which makes field work very expensive in buying Duracells. So I
won't be buying the unit on the basis that the manual doesn't say 'might not
work with some rechargeables'.

At the nature end of things we got some very interesting recordings of dozens
of black kites chasing swifts and pigeons in a very strange evening death
ritual on the rooftops of old Seville during Holy Week.

james
www.wyness.org
www.khora.org.uk