3. Re: MD timers

Subject: 3. Re: MD timers
From: "Gene Dorcas" genedorcas
Date: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:04 pm ((PDT))
Walt is right about the frogloggers getting started in Georgia.  The
original press release from the Univ. of Georgia is found at:

http://www.uga.edu/srel/logger.htm

(Some of the emails in the press release are no longer valid.)

The original froglogger was ideal because of the low cost and are most ofte=
placed in the field in large numbers to cover large areas that could not
normally be covered in person. Over the years I have shipped batches of 20
or more to many biologists all over the globe. First the stereo cassette
recorders became unavailable then Sony stopped shipping the less expensive
Hi-MD recorders.  The only froglogger I build right now uses the Marantz
PMD660 which really makes it too expensive to deploy in large numbers. One
biologist using my frogloggers was responsible for monitoring a 200 mile
stretch of the Mississippi River. Frogloggers are now also being used to
monitor bird and wolf populations.

Therefore, I am developing a much less expensive model that records to a
Flash thumb-drive.  I am also adding a very low-noise preamp using an op-am=
with a noise density of 0.85 nV/rt.HZ.  I believe this is the quietest in
the industry. I'm thinking of using the audible time stamp used in the 1st
generation of frogloggers.

The term "froglogger" has become public domain and is used by many who buil=
their own units.  My original schematics published in 1995 are still posted
on the US Geological Survey's (USGS) web-site at:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/monmanual/techniques/froglogger.htm

And, BTW, my son Mike (Dr. Dorcas) has written two books on frogs which are
to be in print in a few weeks. Many thanks go to Walt for contributing frog
calls that will be included on CD with one of the books.

Gene

  _____