Re: evil Quicktime was:K6/ME66 noise.

Subject: Re: evil Quicktime was:K6/ME66 noise.
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:05 am ((PDT))
At 8:10 AM -0400 3/31/07, Marc Myers wrote:
>Versions of QuickTime above 7.1x cause real mischief with other apps
>on Windows machines particularly video edit and audio edit programs.

Mark, Chuck and Rich--

These difficulties interest me as we have many students using QT Pro
on both platforms. As I understand it, QuickTime is the underlying
engine in video/audio editing apps like Premiere, Audition and most
Mac apps as well, so conflicts are in file management are much more
common than incompatibilities with audio drivers.  The most common
complaints I hear stem from trying to use QuickTime within Internet
Explorer browser rather than FireFox or another browser with fewer
"clamps" or restrictions on downloaded and played media.
http://www.firefox2008.de/us/ Most PC users report the change is so
dramatic they no longer have to set the media preferences at all.
The second most common issue is a conflict between the default launch
setting in QT audio and QT video media and the WinXP OS. The usual
work-around, right clicking the audio or video file and selecting the
launch application ("open with")  manually will often enable XP to
recognize the link in the future.

Of course there are other issues and variations. I have an interest
in trying to help troubleshoot them (perhaps best off-list?)  I
suspect more recordists would be using QT Pro for many tasks if its
features were better known.  Rob D.