Re: New open source DAW software

Subject: Re: New open source DAW software
From: "Derek Holzer" derekatumaticdotnl
Date: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:12 am ((PDT))
Hi Rob,

Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hi Derek--
> Its admirable that by your use, you are helping to develop Ardour.
> My questions are admittedly selfish:  Is LADSPA  fully independent of
> existing Mac Core Audio plugs?  Are there 5 or more band LADSPA
> parametric EQ plugs?  Rob D.

I've been a supporter of Ardour from the get-go. It's one of the most
important open source audio projects out there right now (besides Pure
Data, of course!). It's also an interesting example of how dot.com
capital can be put to good use, rather then to just generate more
capital, as the author made the money to support himself and his family
while coding Ardour by developing the system behind Amazon.com.

LADSPA (Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API) is it's own
framework, ported over form the Linux world to OS X and existing
independent of Core Audio or Steinberg VST.

Incidentally, Ardour should support VSTs in some way, although that
could be the Windows VSTs can be used under Linux. I'd ask on the Ardour
lists for more details on that. But they are looking to support what
they can, so long as the source code of the API is open to them.

The best EQs are in Jamin, which has a parametric EQ with up to 1024 bands:

http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about/scr02.png

But as I mentioned it's a bit tricky to get running on OS X right now
since there's not a package:

http://ardour.org/node/352

The CAPS library contains some EQs, including a 10-band  'analogue' one,
there's the TAP Equalizer from the TAP library, a Triple band parametric
with shelves and a Multiband EQ from another plugin set, or you could
stack several Single band parametric EQs. All of these should install
from DMG files found on the Ardour site, or at Plugin.org.uk.

http://www.ladspa.org/
http://plugin.org.uk/

best,
derek