Re: New open source DAW software

Subject: Re: New open source DAW software
From: "Derek Holzer" derekatumaticdotnl
Date: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:29 am ((PDT))
I've been using Ardour on OS X and Linux both for years. It was a bit
scary (i.e. unstable) at the start, but that was five years ago. Now
it's the core of my editing tools, together with Jamin (mastering tool),
LADSPA (system of plugins) and ReZound (sample editor), using JackOSX as
a sound server to link them all together.

What's nice is that the same app can run on my OS X Powerbook and my
Linux desktop, making the sessions interchangeable between computers,
soundcards and operating systems (something that many commercial sound
apps don't allow because they want to lock you in to certain
hardware/platform choices).

Of them, JACK, Ardour and some of the LADSPA plugins are available as
DMG installers for OS X. The others require a bit too much Unix know-how
for me to recommend them to non-hackers right now.

All programs should be installable from any major Linux distribution
(Ubuntu, RedHat/Fedora, SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, etc etc), for those that
use them.

best,
derek

--