Prairie Chickens

Subject: Prairie Chickens
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:12 am ((PDT))
If you have the capability with the three of you please do what you
can to document and determine the why on how the "woo woo's" travel
close to the ground and the direction appears to come from any object
that is low.  To my ears it is a very strange example of highly
directional low pitches. One mic at the top of the blind and one on
the ground if matched should prove it.

I hope the "girls" show up to your lek.  They make all the difference
in the structure of the combat.

For those wondering about those "woo woo's", they do that as well as
"cluck clucks", "thump thumps", and "bam bams' all at the same time.
Rich

--- In  "Martyn Stewart" <>
wrote:
I plan to visit a Prairie Chicken Lek with Kevin Colver and
> John Neville this week in Nebraska, it hasn't escaped my mind but I
don't
> want to swamp the area with cables for the poor buggers to trip over
with
> their performances :-)
>
> I will set up a 4 channel system, I was going to try two back-to-back MS
> systems, I've never tried this before only two back-to-back SASS with 4
> mkh-20's.
>
> Should be good as long as we have chickens :-)
>

> Martyn

> Martyn Stewart
>
> Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
>
> http://www.naturesound.org
>
> Redmond. Washington. USA
>
> N47.65543 W121.98428
>
> e-mail:
>
> Tel: 425-898-0462
>
> Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!

>   _____

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/search?hl=
=3De

n&group=3Drec.arts.movies.production.sound&q=3DSound+Devices+442+&qt_g=3DSe=
arch+th