Re: Prairie Chickens

Subject: Re: Prairie Chickens
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:23 pm ((PDT))
OK, These guys are fun and worth travel for.  This is an open prairie
bird and the source of much enviromental funding because all of their
land makes great farm land.  They just don't like corn and beans, and
so are in trouble.  The rule if you go to record these guys are to be
prepared for wind as these areas are known for very high winds.  The
land is open and there is no protection.

I mentioned the low freq directional issue because to my knowledge it
has never been published, documented, explained, or even acknowledged.

These birds travel a good distance, for a non-migrating bird, to the
exact same location each year to do a mating dance (combat for the girls).

They have skin balloons on their neck that they blow up and then make
a "woo woo" with.  They have feathers on their necks that they erect
to make points like ears that except for display can not even be seen.
 They beat their feet on the ground. And they get very violent with
each other.  The biggest lek I have been to was about 65 birds taking
up about a 100 foot circle. All the males are trying to get into the
center but that has a lot of combat they have to survive from their
rivals to get there.

A small mp3 file download.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/0305.mp3

I can not make it to the Greater Prairie Chicken Leks this year
because I need to complete all the various calls from Sharp-tailed
Grouse in Lek.
>From there I will move on to trying to document what Lang E. of this
group alleged regarding Roughed Grouse having Leks.  We will see if my
4 channel array can document that next month.

The Sharp-tailed Grouse are a little more informal on returning to the
exact same spot and are not quite as complex but they make up for it
by the males struting and saying "Gotta Whip-it" to the females.

I will post an example of that sometime soon.

Rich Peet

--- In  "Chris Hails" <>