Re: sanken css-5 self noise

Subject: Re: sanken css-5 self noise
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:23 am ((PDT))
At 3:56 PM +0100 3/18/07, evs wrote:
>hello everyone!
>i=B4m just curious, maybe someone can tell me if the self noise from
>the css-5 sanken show off on their site
>(http://www.sanken-mic.com/english/condenser/css-5.html)
>is measured in DIN IEC 651(db-a) or in CCIR 468-3?
>it says 18 db, if its db-a, its pretty high... if its not, that would
>be great, they would be more quiet than the sennheiser mkhs...
>anyone knows anything?
>all the best
>evs

Hi--
I can see why you have questions.  When specs are
loosely defined, I tend to not get optimistic,
but some Sanken mics are highly regarded, often
by film and video folks. We've found that
comparison tests  and field use are the only
certain way to assess performance. Here's a
search of the mic(s) on the rec.arts list:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/search?grou=
p=3Drec.arts.movies.production.sound&q=3Dsanken+css-5+&qt_g=3DSearch+this+g=
roup

Self-noise is important, but not as crucial for
most film/video applications. I believe the Rane
Notes suggest that (A) weighting usually lowers a
self noise number around 7dB.

The stated sensitivity of 70.8mV/Pa is notably
high when the two mics are in the "wide stereo"
mode. Then statement strike me as curious: "The
WIDE mode is designed for stereo recording of
sound effects where dialogue will be dubbed in at
a later date. This mode allows a wider 140 degree
pickup, whereas conventional M-S microphones have
a maximum of 127 degrees."

Is it doing internal M-S mixing? Can the signal
from the two mics be recorded discretely?

Also of interest to nature recordists "... with
new PPS ( Poly-Phenylene-Sulfide ) diaphragms to
provide optimum humidity / temperature stability.
"

Rob D.