Re: Cassette Recording Anyone?

Subject: Re: Cassette Recording Anyone?
From: "ortfmic" ortfmic
Date: Sat Mar 3, 2007 3:22 am ((PST))
Tom,

I assume you're referring to the PMD430. It's a great machine. I have
one too that I keep with me as a backup in a fanny pack with an Audio
Technica Pro 24 stereo mic. I refer to it as my 'iPod - old school'
when I use it with a good set of cans (headphones).

Last year I made the leap to digital and the sound quality is all that
everyone says it is. Sound quality aside, handling and editing digital
audio is so much nicer because you're working with a file structure as
opposed to linear data.

If and when you decide to switch, I advise researching units that have
the quietest mic preamps in your price range. There seems to be wide
and different opinions about format (CF, hard disk, Hi-MD, blah blah
blah), but everyone seems to agree that money invested in mic preamps
is money well spent. I would add that after you commit to a digital
recorder with quiet preamps, you'll be looking for quiet mics too.

Oh, the fun.

Tom Powers
Woodstock, GA

--- In  "THOMAS_J_SHERIDAN"