Re: Over and underwater frog recordings

Subject: Re: Over and underwater frog recordings
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:53 am ((PST))
Its fascinating to consider the soundscape differences this time of
year between water-warmed locations like Northern California and the
UK and the continent interior (northern hemisphere prejudice).

In the middle of North America we are in deep winter. In contrast to
Martyn's Pacific Tree Frogs, I recorded some impulses from a frozen
water main repair a half block away on Valentine's Day recorded at 2
am. It was mic'd with Rode NT2000's in a parallel boundary rig with
Message: 2.
Subject: 5" inset using a 744T recorder. The temperature was in the single
digits (F).

Equalized recording:
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/temporary/20070214EQWinterWaterRepa=
ir.mp3

The EQ is primarily a +6dB "lift" 1600-3000 Hz with lower-mid
"notching" of the resonant tones. The concrete crusher (which sounds
more like a pile driver on the frozen clay) is on the other side of a
brick, three story, apartment building. All of the sound waves from
the equipment are indirect reaching the rig after reflecting from
local surfaces.

Original Recording, volume matched:
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/temporary/200702140utWaterRepair.mp=
3