Re: Recommendations?

Subject: Re: Recommendations?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:39 am ((PST))

Oryoki wrote:

"The standard Marantz PMD660 preamp has two problems.  First, the
preamp has a high level of self-noise, audible as a broad frequency
hissy sound, like tape hiss.  Second, the preamp is more sensitive
than most to overloading when a strong signal is present.

To overcome the first problem, you need a mic that provides a high
voltage input (you must mean output!!?? or is this a language
problem??) so you can keep the preamp volume low.  Too strong an
input (you must mean output!!?? or...), and you run into the second
problem. There's a very narrow
sweet spot where the mic and recorder work best."

Replacing "input" with "output" this explanation seems to be perfect!
OR - language: Does a microphones provide a "input"??

Nvertheless - now mix it with a mic makers perspective:

If I adjust the output of a EM23PIP to fit the Edirol R-09, the same
output will distort the input stage of a Sony HiMD.
Life is awful...

Happy Holidays and lets pray for a better 2007, with at LEAST
SOME!!!! standard for mic inputs and reasonable input noise levels!

Klas.

>Alan wrote:
> > Has anyone used the Oade Brothers' Marantz PMD 660?  I'm
> > looking for a reasonable priced compact flash field recorder...
>
>The standard Marantz PMD660 preamp has two problems.  First, the
>preamp has a high level of self-noise, audible as a broad frequency
>hissy sound, like tape hiss.  Second, the preamp is more sensitive
>than most to overloading when astrong signal is present.
>
>To overcome the first problem, you need a mic that provides a high
>voltage input so you can keep the preamp volume low.  Too strong an
>input, and you run into the second problem. There's a very narrow
>sweet spot where the mic and recorder work best.
>
>The Oade Advanced modification addresses both problems.  Doug Oade
>removes the line input, the internal mics, the limiter and the
>Automatic Level Control from the system. Oade uses the new space to
>rebuild the preamp with higher quality electronics.  After the mod,
>the only mic input is via the XLR connectors.  This change voids your
>warranty from Marantz.
>
>Cost of the Advanced mod, including the PMD660, is $710.  Add in the
>cost of a couple of Compactflash cards.  4GB cards cost ~$65 each and
>provide space for about 6 hours of stereo 16/48 recording.
>
>The results are quite spectacular. I think it's the best-sounding
>recorder for less than $1000, better than the stock Marantz PMD671 and
>Tascam HD-P2 even though these recorders are 24 bit and the PMD660 is
>16 bit.
>
>If you can wait a few weeks, there is a new machine coming that may
>give the PMD660 a challenge.  It's the Fostex FR-2LE, about $550.
>Doug Oade will sell them, and chances are he will develop a
>modification for the Fostex that will surpass the PMD660.  Time will tell.
>
>--oryoki
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."