Re: Recommendations?

Subject: Re: Recommendations?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:01 am ((PST))
Carefully judgement of sophisticated tools pretty much has to involve
comparing the unknown to  at least one known, preferably more. There
are always performance trade-offs and multiple factors to be measured
and weighed before knowing which tool is the best investment. No
dealer, manufacturer or even mod shop is in position to criticize one
piece of equipment in terms of another when the quality reaches a
certain point. If its a cottage industry run by an artists who don't
care if they go out of business tomorrow, okay let me hear their
tests. Otherwise, though I'm basically a trusting guy, I agree with
Raimund that there are way too many accommodations one can leave in
place in making sound samples for one to base decisions on them. I
got as far as reading Oades pre/post mod test file descriptions.
Check me if I'm wrong, but if one can hear a difference in
performance in a PMD 660 with and without their mods when testing
with a mic that has 17dB A self noise and sensitivity of: 13.8 mV/Pa,
doesn't this suggest its a fairly noisy mic pre circuit in all forms?
The pres would have to introduce noise above the mic's self noise in
order for two steps of improvement to be discerned. For comparison,
Aries mic is a only a tad quieter than a pair of WL-183's and noisier
than a Rode NT-4. The Hi-MD pre and many standard MD pres are
comfortably below the self noise of both of these mics. The
http://www.fonozoo.comeng site seemed to be down the couple of times
I checked it. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson