Re: Recommendations?

Subject: Re: Recommendations?
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:47 am ((PST))
Hi Rob,

Yes, there is no doubt that the PMD 660 stock preamps are quite noisy.
The absolute noise level of the Aries mic is about -112dBu. So, one
would benefit from a more sensitive microphone like the Sennheiser
K6/MExx series which provide higher absolute self-noise levels of
about -108 dBu (which would effectively provide less noisy recordings
also with the stock PMD660).

Generally, the preamplifier noise performance depends on the available
supply voltage and the power consumption. Low-noise amplifier circuits
usually require supply voltages of more than 9 V and draw a relatively
high current (for instance the INA163 by Texas Instruments). So, it is
unlikely that is possible to change the PMD660 with its 6V power
supply into a superior recorder (at least without significantly
decreasing its battery life).

Thanks to SONY's expertise, the Hi-MD recorders seem to be fortunate
exception from this rule.

I believe that it is difficult to objectively evaluate the performance
of a new recorder. There are psychological effects that influence our
cognition. If we receive new gear from which we already heard
favourable comments, or payed much money or if its housing fakes
professional performance, we tend to overestimate its performance.

So, I would love to hear your clock test on the Oade modified PMD 660.

Regards,
Raimund