Re: field recording with digital mics

Subject: Re: field recording with digital mics
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:29 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Lou Judson"

> Oh, and the Flashmic is a microphone (inherently analog) encased with a
> digital recorder. The only output is a heaphone jack, also analog.
> (well, it has USB offload but that is different I think.) Does the
> manual say you can record in rtealtime via USB? Then it would be a
> digital mic!

It can record in realtime within it's own digital recorder. It's clearly
not intended to be used with a external recorder. The only output from
the mic you could use is the headphone monitor.

It does not appear to stream audio via usb. You do drag and drop file
copies to get the audio files off. Or use the software they provide to
do the same function.

I don't know how that it does it's own recording precludes calling it a
"digital" mic. I more reserve that for any mic that has a onboard
conversion via a A/D, and it certainly has that. Records uncompressed
audio or mpeg. I'd propose for purposes of talking about them around
here that we define a "digital" mic as one that has a A/D designed in.
We are probably going to see every possible variant of these.

In terms of looks this looks like a standard size wireless mic. It
definitely does not look like a recorder that contains a mic.

> Love to see them develop a series of similar devices, like stereo, etc.
> as the conecpt is fine.

I have a feeling that for the immediate future such things at the high
end will be experiments and too expensive for what's there. In the
longer future they will certainly be common at least on the low end.

For me I think I prefer the strictly analog mic. That way as pre and AD
technology develops I'm not rebuying the mics.

The key piece of technology that would help us is a digital wireless
transmission system we could plug onto regular mics. One that would
supply phantom power, etc. Not having to string cables in the wilds
would be a big help sometimes. I do have Sennheiser's version, but it's
not really that organized for the job with mics like the MKH. Does work
ok once I string together enough bits and pieces. I use the SD MP2 to
power the mics and transmit digitally at line level using two Sennheiser
units.