Re: [gear] Tascam HD-P2 field recorder

Subject: Re: [gear] Tascam HD-P2 field recorder
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:03 pm ((PST))
Hi Rob,

I would still estimate the HD-P2 gain about 6dB below the 722. At
least with the microphones I primarily use (Sennheiser K6/ME series
and MKH 60), the HD-P2 gain is sufficient. I believe that it is seldom
justified to demand more gain. I usually try to reduce the gain by
minimizing the distance between the microphone(s) and the animals.
Otherwise, the resulting recordings would not be satisfying to my mind.

Unfortunately, I could not find the microphone input level
specification of the 722 expressed in dBu. According to the
manufacturers specifications, the Fostex FR2 seems to be identical to
the Tascam HD-P2 in this regard (both have -60dBu).

Raimund