Re: Bat detector

Subject: Re: Bat detector
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:51 am ((PST))
Hi Martyn,

You might also have a look at our UltraSoundGate system
(http://www.ultrasoundgate.com/usg116-200.htm). This is also a
laptop-based system, which has the advantage that it provides a
real-time spectrogram display. It is made of quality components
(full-metal housing) and comes with a very sensitive microphone that
has a flat frequency response up to about 180 kHz.

Another less expensive solution would be to attach our CM16/CMPA P48
ultrasonic microphone
(http://www.ultrasoundgate.com/microphonesP48.htm) to your Sound
Devices 722 recorder. This microphone employs the same microphone
capsule as the above computer-based UltraSoundGate system. The
drawback of this solution would be that you would have no acoustic or
visual feedback while recording inaudible bat echolocation calls
(except of the recording level meter on your recorder). Another
problem might be the limited bandwidth of the recorder (ultrasonic
sound components above about 60...70 kHz might produce unwanted
aliasing effects).

Sample recordings made with the UltraSoundGate 116-200 can be found at
 http://www.batcalls.org and http://www.avisoft.com/sounds.htm#bats

Regards,
Raimund

Raimund Specht