Re: Looking for GHOW vocalizations?

Subject: Re: Looking for GHOW vocalizations?
From: "Ken & Karla Kinstler" karlaowl
Date: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:33 am (PDT)
Yep, I'm the one looking for the Great Horned Owl vocalizations for my rese=
arch...and would be more than happy to continue receiving any recordings pe=
ople are still getting!  I'll give credit in my publications to all the rec=
ordists who have contributed.  I'm especially in need of recordings from Ce=
ntral and South America, as well as the following states: Oregon, Idaho, Mo=
ntana, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, N & S Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa=
, Missouri, Nebraska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee,=
 Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Mass=
achusetts, Virginia & W. Virginia, N & S Carolina.  Kinda some big gaps in =
there.

I'm looking for variations in territorial hooting throughout their range, b=
ut I'm also looking to document the complete vocal repertoire.  So if anyon=
e has adult squawks, owls reacting to banders climbing trees, food exchange=
s, moms & kids in nests, those would be especially appreciated.

Also, I'm realizing I'm going to need to learn to distinguish Magellanic Ho=
rned Owl from Great Horned Owl vocalizations for the South American anaylse=
s.  Anyone have any Magellanic Horned Owl recordings???

This time of year the young are dispersing, so all the adults are starting =
to proclaim their territories to keep the newbies out.  Once it gets cooler=
 (at least in Minnesota!) it's easier to get good recordings since the inse=
cts aren't talking anymore.

Thanks to all of you who are helping with this study...the regional assessm=
ents would not be possible without your contributions.

Karla
Karla Kinstler
19268 Perkins Valley Dr
Houston, MN 55943