Looking for GHOW vocalizations?

Subject: Looking for GHOW vocalizations?
From: "antonio celis" tony_celis
Date: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:43 am (PDT)
Hi all,

Is anybody knows and has the email address of the
person who was looking for Great Horned Owl
vocalizations for her studies?

Thank you

Antonio Celis

 --- Walter Knapp <> escribi=F3:

> Posted by: "Randolph S. Little"
>
> > Yes, think about it some more.  The microphone is
> immersed in the
> > acoustic medium (air), such that a passing
> acoustic pressure wave
> > effectively wraps completely around it almost as
> if the microphone
> > were not there.  One of the great challenges of
> microphone design is
> > to make that "almost" as complete as possible
> across the entire
> > spectrum of interest.  This is especially
> difficult at wavelengths
> > short compared to microphone dimensions, and
> various types of side-
> > and rear-porting are typically used to flatten
> performance as a
> > function of direction and wavelength.
>
> Indeed, mic design is not a simple thing.
>
> Yes I more or less agree with your description here
> of a acoustic
> pressure wave interacting with a microphone. It is
> part of what I've
> been pointing out that argues against partial
> interaction of the wave
> and the diaphragm.
> >
> > This discussion pertains to pressure gradient
> microphones, which are
> > typically what we all use in the field.  (I
> apologize to any users of
> > velocity mikes who may feel left out.)  The small
> volume of air
> > trapped between the diaphragm and the backplate
> rests at ambient
> > static pressure.  As an acoustic wave surrounds
> the mike, the
> > instantaneous pressure on the exposed side of the
> diaphragm
> > oscillates around this static pressure at the
> frequencies of the
> > sound and at amplitude proportional to the
> loudness of the sound.
> > The diaphragm is faced momentarily with unequal
> pressure on its two
> > sides and, being compliant, moves in or out to
> compress or expand the
> > air volume behind the diaphragm to equalize the
> instantaneous
> > pressure.  This induced motion of the diaphragm,
> of course, is what
> > the microphone transduces to an electrical analog
> of the acoustic
> > pressure.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> > At all wavelengths much longer than the
> diaphragm's diameter,
> > regardless of direction of travel, the entire
> diaphragm
> > effectively "feels" the same oscillations of
> acoustic pressure, and
> > certainly moves in unison.  No problem.  However,
> at wavelengths
> > short compared to the diaphragm diameter, any
> off-axis excitation
> > will sweep across the diaphragm, rather than
> driving it all at once.
> > The exact response is dependent on the mike's
> porting, the lateral
> > compliance of its diaphragm, and probably many
> other arcane effects.

> [...]

=09
=09
=09=09
Do You Yahoo!?
La mejor conexi=F3n a Internet y <b >2GB</b> extra a tu correo por $100 al =
mes. http://net.yahoo.com.mx